Keswick Creamery Newburg, PA
Keswick Creamery is located on Carrock Farm, Mark and Melanie Dietrick Cochran’s family’s dairy farm near Newburg, PA in the beautiful Cumberland Valley. The family has had registered Jersey cows since 1974 and started farming in their current spot in 1978.
Keswick’s cows are raised in a humane and healthy way, and are allowed to graze freely on lush pastures. The farm uses no rBST hormones, herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers, and has been practicing rotational grazing since 1990. Though they follow organic practices, Keswick is not USDA Certified Organic because they purchase some feed locally. Keswick cows eat fresh grass in season and dry hay in the winter, and are not fed any fermented feeds.
In February 2001, Keswick started making aged raw milk cheeses in their small, licensed on-farm cheese plant. In February 2006 they added a pasteurizer and started making fresh products such as ricotta, soft cheese, and chocolate pudding. All of Keswick’s cheeses are hand made using traditional, time-honored methods. They use only fresh milk, live cultures, and calf rennet. Their ricotta, quark, pudding and yogurt are made without rennet. Since Keswick’s cows are fed their natural diet of grass and hay, the cheeses are a natural creamy yellow color. As the seasons change the color of the cheese will vary depending on how much fresh grass the cows are consuming.
- Free access to lush grass provides feed in-season
- No rBST or tail docking
- No herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers
- Rotational grazing
- Supplemental feed is all non-GMO
- Follows organic methods, except that some supplemental feed is purchased locally and not certified organic
- Frischkase yogurt (pasteurized)
- Whole Milk Ricotta (pasteurized)
- Quark (pasteurized)
- Vermeer cheese (raw)
- Morbier cheese (pasteurized; mixed goat & cow’s milk)
- Other cheeses on a rotating basis
- Chocolate pudding available seasonally; contact us for availability or special order