Chilled Cucumber Buttermilk Soup
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound cucumbers preferably 7082 cucumbers, for their superior flavor!, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out
- 1 pint buttermilk
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 hot-ish pepper seeded & coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled and smashed
- several handfuls of mixed fresh herbs plus a little more for garnish (dill, parsley, basil, mint, even cilantro, or whatever you have)
- ½ tsp sherry or white wine vinegar plus more
- ¾ tsp sea salt plus more to taste, or kind of a lot more if you don't use anchovies
Put all ingredients in the blender except herbs for garnish, and puree until smooth.
Taste, and add more vinegar and salt until it pops. (Could try lemon juice, too.)
Chill until serving. Gets better the longer it rests as the flavors meld.
This could be done in a food processor instead, but will likely come out more textural. If food processing, add solid ingredients first, and add buttermilk after the rest is fairly smooth.