11/14-11/16/2019 Winter is coming (but first, Thanksgiving)
Some quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here.
- Turkey sales continue! Broad Breasted Whites, Orlopp Bronzes, and Narragansetts are all available for pre-order. You can visit our special turkey ordering site here. (The Broad Breasted Whites can also still be ordered through Village Acres here.)
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS. I thought we had them in abundance last week, but you all snapped them up. We’ve got 50% more this week, so maybe now I can say IN ABUNDANCE! ?
- KALE EXTRAVAGANZA. (And collard greens and rainbow chard, too.) Deb at Village Acres harvested the last of her field kale in anticipation of this cold snap, and we took it all — green curly, lacinato, and red Russian. Kale yeah!
- The march towards winter continues: Turnips (two kinds!) and rutabagas make their seasonal debuts. And on the other end of the spectrum, so does eggnog!
- Cranberries did better than I expected last week, leaving us with a very small stash for this week. We’ll have TONS more coming next week, but if you can’t wait, we’ve got some tucked away, available on request.
- Fresh ginger and turmeric continue, but this is probably their final week!
- Fresh pork this week: Boston Butt and Shoulder Picnic Roasts, ground pork, “Simply” sausage (salt & pepper), and Spicy Tuscan sausage.
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
I’m in a hurry! It’s hours earlier than I’m normally writing (though maybe it won’t be by the time this gets sent/posted), as I’m scrambling to get to a Broad Street Market board meeting this evening. I’ve missed the last few because they’re always on Wednesday nights and I haven’t been anywhere near ready by the time the meetings were starting, but I’m close enough this afternoon that I’m trying to make it.
So! Most of the essentials are covered above. Please do read the note on the main turkey page for details, especially about pickup times and the wonkiness of the online store.
As far as food goes, I’m excited about all the big leafy greens. Last night we ate steak, braised kale (with lots of garlic and a little Keepwell Worcestershire), and Harvard beets (which I’d never heard of). Unfortunately, it wasn’t very photogenic, so I’m just going to leave you with this picture of a baby (a year younger than she is now!) chewing on a collard green. #inspiration
Fall Veggie Love
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS!
- Cauliflower (Romanesco or white)
Greens, Hearty & Delicate
- Collard Greens
- Rainbow Chard
- Kales: Green curly, lacinato, red Russian
- Lettuce Mix
- Mesclun Mix
- Green & Red Leaf Lettuces
- Cranberries available on request (NOT LOCAL!)
- Pink Lady Apples
- Granny Smith Apples[/one_third][one_third]Herbs & such
- Rosemary (very limited, maybe more Saturday)
- Lions Mane
Onions & Garlic
- White Onions
- Yellow Onions
- Red Onions
- Yukon Golds
- Red Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Red Beets
- Gold Beets
- Rainbow Carrots
- White Salad Turnips
- Purple-Top Turnips
- Pie pumpkins!
[one_half]McGrath’s Brick Oven Bakehouse
(Fresh every day!)
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Irish Oatmeal Pan Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar
- Cinnamon Raisin
- Baguettes (frozen only)[/one_half][one_half_last]Talking Breads