A few quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here.
- We’re rolling a new point of sale system this week. Your patience while we get used to it is much appreciated! (Thank you!)
- We’re also rolling out a new loyalty program! Read on for deets, or ask!
- Get it while you can: Castelfranco Radicchio. We don’t get this one too often, so if you like bitter Italian greens, grab it while it’s here!
- Fresh pork this week: Pork belly, pork tenderloin, shoulder picnic roasts, ground pork, and fresh kielbasa.
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
While Dusty’s been finishing floors and buying equipment and generally moving forward all the physical aspects of the store project, I’ve been spending my time on the less glamorous aspects, like selecting a new Point of Sale (POS) system — that is, a new register. Unlike the floors, we’ll be using the new POS in both locations. So, we figured, since we’ve got one picked out (and taking up space on our dining room table), shouldn’t we start using it at the market so we’re used to it by the time the store opens and we have plenty of other new things to master? So this week, we roll out our new Clover POS. As I am so often these days, I’m excited and terrified.
My excitement is mostly around two things: 1) having a scale that talks to the register; and 2) launching a membership/rewards program. My terror is that despite having the system set up on my dining room table since October, there’s some key piece that I’ve forgotten or some intractable problem that we won’t discover until we encounter it in the wild. I’m sure both fears are well-founded, but I think it’s going to be great anyway.
This weekend, though, I’m not sure it’s going to be great. I apologize in advance if you’re the person who facilitates the discovery of the intractable problem. I’m sure it’s tractable, and that we’ll tract it. We hope you’ll be patient with us as we gain fluency with the system. We also hope that you’ll appreciate that we’ve opened up a little more space in the bagging area. Perks all around?
And speaking of perks — did your ears perk up when I said membership/rewards program? They should! It’s called The Food Hub Club (or “the Hub Club”) and we’re rolling it out in phases. For now you can sign up to be a “Sparkler“, which earns you one “radish seed” for every dollar you spend. Radish seeds can be redeemed for discounts (starting now) and Easter eggs (coming in phase two!). Phase two will also add additional membership types, which is what I’m most excited about, but we’ll leave that a little mystery for now. 🙂 In the meantime, I hope you’ll sign up for a free Sparkler membership and help us get used to the whole thing!
And speaking of getting used to things — this week we prepare to get used to life without Elle, who moves away after this weekend. Elle’s been with us for only eight months, but she quickly became an invaluable member of the team — knowledgeable and curious, diligent and playful, efficient and kind. We wish her all the best in her new adventures, and we sure are going to miss her smiling face and her deft organization of the prep list. Thank you, Elle, for all your hard work and good energy over the past eight months. We hope you mean it when you say you’ll pick up shifts when you’re in town. 🙂
- Young Green Curly Kale
- Mixed Baby Kale
- Pea Shoots
- Castelfranco Radicchio
- Baby Spinach (somewhat limited)
- Lettuce Mix (very limited)
- Tentatively arriving Saturday morning: Mesclun mix and Rainbow chard. Completely unconfirmed, may not happen.
- Pink Lady Apples
- Fuji Apples
- Cutting Leaf Celery
- Lions Mane
Onions & Garlic
- Yellow Onions
- Red Onions
- Jerusalem Artichokes
- Yukon Golds
- Sweet Potatoes
- Japanese Sweet Potatoes (limited to start; more arriving Thursday mid-day, we think)
- Beets (Red & Gold)
- Carrots (Beautiful & Ugly)
- Watermelon Radishes (limited to start; more arriving Thursday mid-day, we think)
- Purple-Top Turnips
- White Salad Turnips (aka Hakurei)
- Tentatively arriving Saturday morning: Red Radishes
- CUBED Butternut Squash
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Whole Wheat
- Cranberry Ginger
- Cheesy Peppercorn
- Baguettes (frozen only)