A few quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here.
- Big apologies if you saw our note about the beef re-stock last week and got excited — we’re still very low on beef, but we now expect we’ll have more next week (mix-up with the farmer/butcher schedules, I guess?).
- We do have pork — this week we’ve got some gorgeous roasts, delicious bar brats, comforting breakfast sausage, and versatile regular ol’ ground pork.
- We’ve also got chicken wings coming, flying in from the member farms of the Lancaster Farm Fresh Co-operative. I hear there’s a chicken wing holiday coming up. (These’ll arrive sometime Thursday morning.)
- Not so into the meat? Into meat, but also into mushrooms? We’ve heard you loud and clear that YOU WANT MORE MUSHROOMS. We ordered TONS for this week — the standard varieties, and the pretty ones. Please come buy them.
- And speaking of our friends at Lancaster Farm Fresh, they’ve had a little stock rotation mix-up with their eggs, and have a couple short-dated cases they’d like help getting into the hands of some good local eaters — as a result, a limited supply of certified organic eggs from the Back 40 Ranch are 50% off! Well, the ones that were laid on 12/12 and 12/25 are — once we move through those, some fresher yolks will take the stage, and the sale shall end. (Note that this doesn’t apply to the eggs from Village Acres, which are in strong danger of selling out very early this week.)
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
I’m re-using a photo this week, which I try really hard not to do. But it’s been almost two years (almost two years exactly), so I bet you wouldn’t have even noticed. Shoot. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything.
The thing is, we’ve actually done some good cooking this week, but it’s all been either not-so-picturesque, or made from stuff we snagged off the Urgent Use table and is no longer available. It seems mean to crow about the great things we made with produce you can’t have.
So we’ll talk about wings! This is actually related to something I did make this past week, which was a Buffalo chicken dip from all Radish & Rye ingredients. Quark for the base, plus a dollop of Fiddle Creek Greek yogurt. Torchbearer’s Buffalo Wing Sauce (what else?). Keepwell’s Worcestershire. Some dill. Paprika. Shredded sharp cheddar. Shredded chicken breast. Crumbled blue cheese on top. It tasted way better than it looked, and it satisfied my desire to eat total junk food made from high quality ingredients. And then I ruined the “junk” aspect by putting a bunch of lettuce in a bowl, and then a heap of farro on top of that, and then my gooey cheesy dip on top of that. It was almost like a health food. I mean really — lean protein, a cream cheese substitute with no cream (that is, Quark is made from whole milk, so it’s much lower fat than cream cheese), yogurt instead of sour cream, no powdered ranch dressing….what am I doing with my life? Trying to be an adult who eats more than just buffalo chicken dip for dinner, that’s what. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that…and not that I haven’t had an all-buffalo meal or two with the leftovers since.)
Anyway! I said we were going to talk about wings, but I’m actually not ready for that yet, and this next bit isn’t really even remotely related. It was good though, so I want to tell you — last night I made an Andalusian Cabbage Stew, adapted from Martha Shulman’s recipe here, and I highly recommend it. It’s onion and cabbage and paprika and tomatoes, and I added a can of chickpeas, simmered for a long time, then treated generously with vinegar. Total comfort food, but with a little (lot) more flavor than mashed potatoes. This morning I ate leftovers for breakfast, with an egg on top. It’s been a really good day, and I think that’s probably why.
But let’s talk about wings! We’ve got some. You should eat some. You can tell yourself you’re practicing for what you’re going to make for the Super Bowl. Torchbearer’s buffalo chicken wing sauce + Frank’s Red Hot + melted butter = the perfect wings. Also, a blue cheese + watermelon radish slaw on the side. Or skip the watermelon radish and shred some celeriac in instead? I’ve never done that, but I sure do keep thinking about it.
If you’re not going to take my advice and eat wings, there are plenty of other goodies this week, too. How about a spicy roasted parsnip soup (with fresh turmeric, of course)? What about some sweet & sour roasted Napa cabbage? (I bet that one would be great with pork chops…maybe rubbed with the new Calicutt’s Chinese Five Spice we just got in?) Or how about a butternut bolognese? (I haven’t made that yet this year…it’s now on my list!)
The possibilities are endless…
- Rainbow Chard (very limited)
- Mustard Greens (arriving Thursday)
- Green Curly Kale? (arriving Thursday if it got warm enough to harvest it)
- Baby Spinach
- Red Boston Head Lettuce (arriving Thursday)
- Lettuce Mix (arriving Thursday)
- Mesclun Mix
- Mixed Baby Kale
- Ruby Streaks Mustard Greens
- Pea Shoots (arriving Thursday)
- Pink Lady Apples
- Granny Smith Apples
- Frozen Cranberries — this is their final week!
- Dill (arriving Thursday)
- Parsley (arriving Thursday)
- Lions Mane
Onions & Garlic
- Yellow Onions
- Red Onions
- Yukon Golds
- Sweet Potatoes
- Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- Beets (Red & Gold)
- Carrots (Beautiful & Ugly)
- Easter Egg Radishes
- Watermelon Radishes
- Purple-Top Turnips
- White Salad Turnips (aka Hakurei)
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Irish Oatmeal
- Cranberry Ginger
- Sesame & Cheddar
- Three Seed
- Baguettes (frozen only)