Some quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here.
- Fruit of the week: Honeycrisp apples, watermelon, figs (in the cheese case), and yellow peaches. Get ’em while the getting’s good.
- This week’s hot peppers are chilaca chiles, shishitos (green and red), poblanos, and jalapenos. In sweet peppers: mixed bells, Jimmy Nardellos and Carmen di Toros, habanadas, and Yummy Snack Peppers (perfect for lunch boxes).
- Pea shoots also make another appearance, and we’ve got some romaine, so you won’t have to have another saladless week.
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
I’m given to understand that many of the young among us have headed back to school this week or will be doing so this coming week. What happened to summer?
Of course, for many of us the start of the new school year doesn’t carry with it the dramatic lifestyle change it once did. Still, the days are getting shorter for all of us. We’ve only a month more of the light outweighing the dark. The days are getting a little cooler, too — or at least we’re being promised that they will, soon.
There’s something calming to me about late summer and the approaching fall. I’m not sure why, but apparently I feel it consistently enough that on this very week last year, I wrote about the very same thing. The seasons, they go round and round. Captive maybe we are, but I love the comfort of the rhythm and the routine. I might even be okay with not feeling very original this evening.
Ultimately, I think our bodies know what it means when the length and quality of the light begin to shift. After a summer of abandon (or something like it), we refocus, begin thinking about what lies ahead.
But not too much — not yet. For now there are still melons and tomatoes and corn; there are not-too-hot-not-too-cool evenings, followed by downright chilly mornings; there is still another month of more light than dark.
I said it last year, and I’ll say it again — this is my favorite time of year. And not just for the food (tho’ it sure doesn’t hurt).
- Green Beans
- Green Curly Kale
- Lacinato Kale
- Pea Shoots
- Romaine Lettuce
- Honeycrisp Apples
- Figs (somewhat limited)
- Beautiful Yellow Peaches
- Ugly Yellow Peaches
- Dill (very limited)
Onions & Garlic
- Scallions (somewhat limited)
- Red, White, and Yellow Onions
- Fresh Shallots
- Green Cabbage (somewhat limited)
- Sweet Corn
- Italian Eggplant (arriving mid-day Thursday)
- Okra (arriving mid-day Thursday)
- Mixed Bell
- Carmen di Toro
- Jimmy Nardello
- Yummy Snack
- Shishito (Green & Red)
- Patty Pan
- Plum (arriving mid-day Thursday)
- Mixed Cherry
- Red Beets
- Rainbow Carrots
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Irish Oatmeal Pan Bread
- Everything Bread
- American Harvest
- Three Seed
- Baguettes (frozen only)