Some quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here.
- Fruit of the week: plums, cantaloupes, blackberries, and peaches. It’s my belief that this will be the last week for plums (but don’t hold me to that).
- This week’s hot peppers are chilaca, shishito, jalapeno, and a great deal on bulk-ish quantities of Hungarian Wax (which I intend to pickle). ALSO — sweet peppers are coming in: mixed bells, Carmen di Toros (my favorite for frying),and the wildly popular Yummy Snack Pepper!
- Sweet corn is again here, but not quite as much as we’d like.
- Fresh pork this week — chops, tenderloins, and Boston Butt roasts; in sausages we’ve got Sweet Italian, Korean BBQ, and Spicy Tuscan. Lots more options available frozen, and fair warning, we will likely not have any fresh pork next week (but we might have fresh chicken).
- I could keep going forever on the veggies, but then these wouldn’t really be “quick things” would they?
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
Well, guys. My plan was to start writing this post at 3pm this afternoon, be done by 5pm, have check-in meetings with our newbies, make dinner, go to bed.
I don’t know what I was doing at 3pm. Maybe the bookkeeping I thought I’d have done by 11am. I wasn’t writing this post.
At 4pm I turned on the oven to 225 and went to the walk-in to grab some sungolds for a long slow roast. At 4:45pm I came back inside, no sungolds in hand, but having received three deliveries and packed the walk-in so full I don’t know if I could have found the sungolds. I turned off the oven. A three hour roast starting at four might mean dinner a little after seven. A three hour roast starting at 4:45 couldn’t possibly translate to dinner before eight. (And yet, here it is, 8:12 as I write this, and…no dinner yet…though I did have some Urban Churn ice cream to tide me over).
Anyway! Walk-in fully loaded, then it was check-ins with newbies (they’re doing great!) and a “quick” trip to Lowe’s and then Home Depot looking for framing nails for Dusty’s nail gun. He’s got someone coming tomorrow to work on the ceiling, and he has some framing to finish first. He’s still over there working on it. I am happy to report that we are starting to feel like this is Real Progress. Most of the work so far has, from a visual standpoint, been destructive (tearing out old walls and ceilings) or invisible (plumbing, electric); we’re on the verge of the kind of work that will make a huge difference in our perception. I’m hoping Dusty isn’t up all night getting ready for it!
All this to say…I sure am glad we ate well earlier in the week.
Pictured is the exact meal I pictured as I was writing last week’s post — Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites) with pork chops. I very slightly overcooked the pork chops, but other than that, it was as good as I dreamt it would be. (FWIW, I mostly followed the recipe, but I added a couple spoonfuls of previously roasted chile peppers and a dash of smoked paprika instead of the chili powder. You are throwing some extra chile peppers on your grill every time you turn it on, right?)
The other highlight of the week was actually another corn salad, which might be best described as a “kitchen sink” (as in, everything-but-the-) corn salad — it was basically all the summer goodies all in one bowl. Corn, cucumbers, fire-roasted peppers, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, topped with just vinegar and oil and salt. It made a great side for grilled chicken thighs (and legs), and then the next night it made for some crazy easy tacos. As in, I made some taco meat, heated up some tortillas, and the entire topping scenario was taken care of with the leftover corn salad. Perfect and fast.
Which reminds me that my plan was to be fast here, so I could go eat dinner.
See you at market!
- Green Beans
- Lacinato Kale
- Rainbow Chard
- Lettuce Mix
- Green Leaf Lettuces
- Romaine Lettuce
- I accidentally ordered more head lettuce than I intended. Good week for an extra salad or two?
- PEACHES (beautiful & ugly)
Onions & Garlic
- Fresh Garlic (uncured)
- Fresh Red, White, and Yellow Onions (uncured)
- Fresh Shallots (uncured)
- Red Cabbage (limited)
- Sweet Corn
- Fairytale Eggplant
- Okra! (arriving mid-day Thursday)
- Mixed Bell Peppers
- Carmen di Toro Sweet Peppers
- Yummy Snack Peppers
- Chilaca Chiles
- Hungarian Wax
- Patty Pan
- Mixed Cherry
- Red Beets
- Rainbow Carrots
- New Potatoes
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Irish Oatmeal Pan Bread
- Cheesy Bread
- Cinnamon Raisin
- Dill Onion
- Baguettes (frozen only)