Some quick things:
- Want to receive this list via email each week? Sign up here. (Especially recommended for when Facebook is weird.)
- TOMATOES are really for real here. Heirlooms, reds, little orange salad tomatoes, and even littler sweet sweet sungolds. Ohhhh I love them! (Also, another plug for the CapoMozz and the affiliated video.)
- We don’t have space to carry all the peppers at once, so this week we’ve got New Mexico Green Chiles, Hungarian Hot Wax, Shishito, Padron, and Jalapeno. A different pepper for each dinner?
- Blackberries are the fruit of the week. Or peaches. Or both?
- In very small quantities, this week we also have sweet corn and celery. I know celery might not seem crazy exciting, but it’s not available locally all that often, so when it is I eat it up (preferably with wings and blue cheese, both of which I know where to get all the time!).
- This week’s fresh meat won’t arrive until some time on Thursday — probably afternoon. We’ll have pork chops, pork tenderloin, ground pork, Korean BBQ sausage, “Americano Italiano” sweet Italian sausage, and breakfast sausage all available fresh from whenever it arrives until whenever it sells out (or the Market closes on Saturday). In the freezer in the meantime, and maybe even after, we do have some frozen pork chops and roasts, ground pork, and a whole big selection of sausages.
Scroll down for the full list of what we’ll have this week!
In addition to all the food excitement this week, I’m very excited to introduce two new R&R team members — Elle and Elliott. We didn’t plan to hire two people with such similar names (or two people at all; we were going for one), but we so enjoyed our interviews with both that we didn’t feel we could possibly choose between them. It was made extra hard by the overall high caliber of the entire applicant pool — which really made us look forward to the day (hopefully not too far away) when we’re able to hire even more than two people.
E & E will spend their first few weeks with us learning all about stocking and prepping and merchandising before moving on to the Hard Stuff like cutting cheese and working register. If you see an unfamiliar face working to keep things beautiful, feel free to introduce yourself!
But back to the food excitement. It’s real.
You might be forgiven if you looked at this week’s photo and thought, “What’s happening there?” We’ve got Dusty’s half-drunk Negroni in the background (it is an apertif), what seems to clearly be a line of tomato wedges sprinkled with flaky salt (what, the flaky salt isn’t super clear?), and then, for the main event, something Dusty described as, “Maybe the best thing I’ve [he’s] ever made.” If he does say so himself.
That’s fire roasted chilaca peppers blended with a little salt and vinegar (Keepwell Viognier) and a whole head of also-fire-roasted garlic (he put ’em on the grill). A paprika-rubbed Rettland Farm rib chop. Topped with more of those roasted chilacas, this time roughly chopped. I don’t think I can possibly tally up all the things Dusty’s ever made and call one “the best”, but I can’t think of anything that would beat this.
And while it wasn’t THE simplest thing he’s ever made, it was pretty darn simple. Just a few ingredients. No fuss on the sides. Just highlighting the inherent deliciousness of the bounty rolling in from the fields. The food excitement — it’s real.
We don’t have chilacas this week, but I think it would be equally good with the New Mexico green chiles we do have. So much so that I asked Dusty to make it again tonight but with those. But it’s sort of raining, and he had a different idea, so….you eat it for me?
- Romano Beans (limited)
- Shelling Peas
- Green Curly Kale
- Lacinato Kale
- Lettuce Mix
- Romaine Lettuce
- Fuji Apples
- PEACHES (beautiful & ugly)
- Blackberries (somewhat limited)
- Cilantro (arriving Thursday morning)
- Dill (arriving Friday afternoon)
- Lions Mane
Onions & Garlic
- Fresh Garlic (uncured)
- Fresh Red, White, and Yellow Onions (uncured)
- Fresh Shallots (uncured)
- Green & Red Cabbage
- Sweet Corn
- Only “c” things in this category this week, I guess
- New Mexico Green Chiles
- Hot Hungarian Wax
- Patty Pan
- Orange Saladette
- Red Beets (arriving mid-day Thursday)
- Rainbow Carrots
- New Potatoes
- McGrath’s Original
- Sesame Original
- Irish Oatmeal Pan Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar
- Cranberry Pecan
- Nutty Irishman
- Baguettes (frozen only)